The Trenches in the Sky

This Section is dedicated to all the Books and DVD's about Bomber Command & related subjects (Personal opinions are not necessarily those of the Stirling Aircraft Society).
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

The Trenches in the Sky

Post by ME453 »

I have many books on my shelf which I regard as being essential, most of which I make reference to on a regular basis – Theo Boiten’s Nachtjagd War Diaries being a case in point, as a valuable source of information.
But the outstanding book in my collection is probably little known; it’s “The Trenches in the Sky” by Dan Conway DFC. Dan was a 467 squadron pilot in the intense bombing campaign period of late 1943 into 1944 when the Battle of Berlin was a predominant action. But what makes this book especially valuable is that Dan concentrates more on the human aspect of the air war, including training. He covers his initial training in Australia, the embarkation depots and passage to England, ultimately going to the Personnel, Despatch and Reception Centre at Bournemouth.
His chapters then deal with such points as the weather and other natural hazards from a pilot’s point of view. He resumes with training at AFU including the BAT School, then to OTU and HCU and ultimately the squadron. The next two chapters cover amongst other aspects methods of evading searchlights, enemy fighters, the corkscrew and the “mystery of the Schrage musik” fighter. Subsequent chapters detail “Ops on, - a typical 24 hours”, preparation and briefing, take off, the enemy coast, enemy territory, landing etc followed by accounts of four his crews’ ops.
Further chapters give views on morale, the price paid, thoughts on losses, the tragedy of the missing. When tour expired Dan went to 27 OTU at Lichfield as an instructor, 30 OTU Hixon and finally No. 7 Flying Instructor’s School, Upavon. He finishes with his story of his time post-war in Transport Command, his journey home and appendices about Schrage musik guns, an analysis of the Battle of Berlin and his views on Sir Arthur Harris.
Finding this book was a God-send at a time in my research when I’d started to lose my way. The Trenches in the Sky put me firmly back on track, taught me so much about the area that particularly fascinates me – the human element in flying during training and operationally, and remains my constant “bible” if I need to know anything. I can’t recommend it highly enough! And I see copies are available from Abe books for a tenner or so should anyone wish to read this excellent personal account.
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Re: The Trenches in the Sky

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Max,

Who published the book and can you obtianed it here in the UK, would like a read of this.

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

No. 7 in the list Steve:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... in+the+sky

But unfortunately they're all for sale in Oz and shipping costs are high.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
kookabat
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by kookabat »

I agree Max, this is a cracker of a book.
Conway was Deputy Flight Commander, A Flight, 467 Sqn in early 1944 - Flight Commander was S/Ldr DPS (Phil) Smith who captained my great uncle's crew. Phil appears in the book a little bit - including in a close-up still photo sitting next to Dan in the briefing room. So there's much of intense interest there.
My copy came from the Australian War Memorial... Phil's widow Mollie still has a copy too, signed by Dan. He and Phil were great mates.

Adam
Remembering the crew of 467 Sqn Lancaster LM475 PO-B Jan-May 1944
www.somethingverybig.com
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thank you very much Max and folks,

I will look forward to securing a copy over the Xmas period.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Thanks for this recommendation Max, my copy arrived from Oz yesterday. I had a couple of hours to browse through this afternoon - very interesting.

Cheers,

Richard
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Well done Richard, I hope you find it as useful as I do.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by R5868 »

I've just ordered a copy from a military bookstore in Western Australia. Posted Monday will see how long it takes to get here with Australia Post disrupted by the floods. All of the Brisbane mail has been going via Cairns in north Queensland. $29 including postage.
Kerry
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons