Night Fighter Over Germany by Graham White

This Section is dedicated to all the Books and DVD's about Bomber Command & related subjects (Personal opinions are not necessarily those of the Stirling Aircraft Society).
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Night Fighter Over Germany by Graham White

Post by R5868 »

There are plenty of books written about and by aircrew from Fighter and Bomber Command, but Graham White's book looks at his time in a 100 Group night fighter squadron.

It is a humorously written account of his training and service during and after the war. Most books refer to the EATS based in Canada, however Graham did his pilot training on a British Base in Arizona while his future navigator did his training in Rhodesia. During the war, his tour was in Beaufighters and Mosquitos, however, as he frequently was moved from base to base, it was only after the war that it was realised that he had never been rested as he didn't want to go to an OTU. He remained in the RAF after the war and his story gives a unique view of what life for an active RAF member was like compared to those that merely filled in time until being demobbed. He left the RAF in 1950 only to be recalled in 1951 to train to fly Vampire jets.

Well worth it.
Kerry
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Re: Night Fighter Over Germany by Graham White

Post by ME453 »

Thanks for this recommendation Kerry, it sounds very good.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Night Fighter Over Germany by Graham White

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Cheers Kerry, it is good to get a different perspective on RAF life.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"