SEVEN SHORT LIVES

This Section is dedicated to all the Books and DVD's about Bomber Command & related subjects (Personal opinions are not necessarily those of the Stirling Aircraft Society).
bandlaw49
Corporal
Corporal

SEVEN SHORT LIVES

Post by bandlaw49 »

'Seven Short Lives' by Steven B Potter, is the story of a 106 Sqn crew from Metheringham..... Lancasters, I know but it has this attached super shot of Stirlings within it's pages.

Now I know the collective noun for a gathering of Stirlings such as this would be a squadron...... but these are at an HCU and so, because 'Stirling' and 'Starling' sound similar, I shall use one of their collectives!

Here we have a Chattering of Stirlings at 1660 HCU Swinderby in Dec 43. Note how the weather conditions have forced the hapless creatures to gather together....this is natures way of protecting them from the cold. Each aircraft will take it's turn on the outside of the Chattering, facing the artic chill whilst those towards the centre will share mutual body heat. We've seen the same behaviour with Penguines.
In complete contrast, notice the macho approach shown by their little friends....Spitfires of the AFDU.... brazenly going topless in an extreme display 'showmanship'!
Isn't nature wonderful....and here in Woodhall Spa, the first signs of spring....the BBMF Spits and Hurricane have once again escaped their cacoons and are buzzing around the skies.
Bandlaw
stirlings-and-spitfires-1660-cu-swinderby-dec-43.JPG
stirlings-and-spitfires-1660-cu-swinderby-dec-43.JPG (150.6 KiB) Viewed 4793 times
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Re: SEVEN SHORT LIVES

Post by ME453 »

Very lyrical Bandlaw, not to say amusing!

I'm interested in the Stirlings in the photograph. I can't see any codes on the fuselage at all, and do they have a bulge, almost like an H2S dome or are my old eyes failing me?!
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron