Herbert Martin Massey - Sagan SBO, 7 Sqn Stirling

This Section is dedicated to all the Books and DVD's about Bomber Command & related subjects (Personal opinions are not necessarily those of the Stirling Aircraft Society).
Redbike955
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Herbert Martin Massey - Sagan SBO, 7 Sqn Stirling

Post by Redbike955 »

I wonder f I might do a bit of blatant promotion? My latest book, the biography of Herbert Martin Massey called 'Extremes of Fortune', is available now from Fighting High Publishing (signed copies) and online sellers. Massey was a remarkable man - wounded in three separate wars (WW1, Palestine Emergency and WW2), he was shot down for the third time in a 7 Sqn Stirling on the second 1000 Bomber Raid. As the senior British officer at Sagan fate handed him the decision to authorise the Great Escape. It was Massey who brought home news of the murders of the 50 when he was repatriated a short time later. But there is far more to his life story than the 2 years he spent at Sagan; he won an MC in WW1, a DSO in Palestine, a CBE in 1950, and was MiD three times.

https://fightinghigh.com/collections/20 ... ed-edition
Mark Joyce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Herbert Martin Massey - Sagan SBO, 7 Sqn Stirling

Post by Mark Joyce »

I guess there's nothing wrong with the blatant promotion if it works! ;) I just ordered a copy and look forward to reading it.

Cheers,

Mark
Redbike955
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Redbike955 »

Looks like it did work! Hope you enjoy it.
Mark Joyce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mark Joyce »

I enjoyed it very much. It was very interesting and well written, and I finished it in only a few days, which is an accomplishment for me! Herbert Martin Massey reminded me of Philip Toosey, of "The Bridge on the River Kwai" fame; the actual Lt. Colonel Toosey and not the Hollywood version played, however convincingly, by Sir Alec Guinness.