Different type of challenge

Challenges may include WW2 Operations, Bomber Command & Luftwaffe Aircraft and Parts.
'Aircraft Identification Challenge' = AIC
'Operation Identification Challenge' = OIC
'Parts Identification Challenge' = PIC
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Different type of challenge

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Sorry guys, l can't crew up on this one, I've had to go away for work again. Catch you on the next one.
Thanks to Alan for his 'Master of Ceremonies' role on this one.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Hi Alan,

Yes, I'm MIA, orbiting an army barracks where I'm on a contract for the moment. I had a look through page one when it first went up, but didn't have time to post answers. I got them all right, of course ;)

Were these the famous tests that aircrew undertook at altitude and without oxygen to demonstrate the effects of anoxia? Or is this a form of 'psychometric test' for selection?

Richard
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by R5868 »

The selection tests used by the RCAF, and I gather by the RAF, RAAF etc, were:

Aircrew Aptitude Test (AAT)
This test was designed to measure ability to reason in terms of mechanical principles. It consisted of a total of 92 items, of which 32 dealt with mechanical principles pertaining to Aviation. The remainder covered basic principles that relate to physical phenomena occurring in everyday life. It was assumed that candidates who attained satisfactory scores on this test possessed the necessary ability to cope with the technical and mechanical aspects of aircrew training. Exceptionally high scores were assumed to reflect not only an ability to reason along mechanical lines but also an interest in mechanical principles as they relate to flying.Testing was done under controlled supervision and 40 minutes were allowed for writing.

Code Aptitude Test
The CAT was designed to reassure ability to discriminate between pairs of rhythmic sound patterns. It was assumed that this ability was important for learning Morse Code. The test consisted of 78 pairs of two-sound rhythm patterns that were serially presented by a phonograph recording. Candidates were required to note whether the second pattern differed from the first.

Educational Achievement Test
The EAT was designed to measure the level of proficiency a candidate had attained in solving problems relating to high school physics and mathematics. The fact that ITS training presupposed a certain proficiency in these subjects made it necessary to isolate those Candidates whose skill in these subjects did not meet the required standards. Depending on the score grade, candidates normally were given the required amount of instruction in these subjects in order to bring their level of proficiency up to the required standards for ITS training.
The test consisted of two parts, each of which contained a number of problems that candidates were required to work out independently. Part 1 contained 30 problems that were based chiefly on principles relating to elementary physics with a few problems in algebra and compound fractions. Part 2 consisted of 33 problems, 19 of which dealt with simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, ratios, simple fractions and percentages; the remaining 14 with the more complex type of arithmetic problem. Thirty minutes were allowed for writing each part. A break was given between tests. For correct answers, 1 point was allowed for each problem of part 1 and 1/2 point for those of part 2, yielding a maximum score of 47 for all problems.

Also included was the Visual Link Trainer and Preliminary Flight Training.
(Source: Arnprior Experiment)
Kerry
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Sorry for being late, but lost the originals and just found them.
Attachments
M A Test 2.jpg
M A Test 2.jpg (258.31 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Many thanks for your efforts in posting this challenge, Alan.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Hi Alan - I've squinted at it so as not to see the answers already provided. Honest :D

My answers - Sphere; 26; 3; 250'; 27; 1; 3; 1 (normal tick); 12; 3; 1; 3; 44lbs; 19; 2; 3.

Many thanks! It's certainly an interesting range of questions.

Richard
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Sorry Richard, but they are the answers to the previous test, but here's the 3rd page of the test (without answers)
Attachments
M A Test 3 - Copy - Copy.jpg
M A Test 3 - Copy - Copy.jpg (361.05 KiB) Viewed 4643 times
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Thanks Alan - I'll say 10 days; 3; 54; 'r'; 81; 9and a half dollars; 's'; 40 seconds; 23; 2,750'; 5; 2; 9; 'L'; 46 minutes.

Cheers,

Richard