Bomber Command: Reflections of War: Tide Turns 1943 -1944 v.

This Section is dedicated to all the Books and DVD's about Bomber Command & related subjects (Personal opinions are not necessarily those of the Stirling Aircraft Society).
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Bomber Command: Reflections of War: Tide Turns 1943 -1944 v.

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Bomber Command: Reflections of War: Tide Turns 1943 -1944 v. 4

Hardcover: 256 pages
Publisher: Pen & Sword Aviation (20 Sep 2012)
ISBN-10: 1848844956
ISBN-13: 978-1848844957
Attachments
51OVbK8QYZL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
51OVbK8QYZL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (25.19 KiB) Viewed 3567 times
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Bomber Command: Reflections of War: Tide Turns 1943 -194

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Steve, Thanks for this post. Would it be fair to say that this book is written with British author / influence ????? ( judging by the cover ) The reason I ask this is that I have found comments / direction of facts, (which may be about the same event or time) can vary to great effect, depending on which nationality the author / publisher is. ( .... and I say this with no disrespect either way )
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Hi John,

Not sure what you mean!

Martin W Bowman's pedigree as an author is up there with the likes of Middlebrook, Sweetman in MHO

Regarding the fact that he is British and this perhaps may influence his writing I am not really convinced of, also the choice of dust jacket, a H.P Halifax means he is British? :?:

John, perhaps you can give an example of this from the view point of different nationalities, my curiosity is now raised.

Like any researcher / author I am sure that he / she may have their own theories or beliefs, trying to promote and convince others and conveying this into an historical work is a real mine field and fraught with dangers. This is particularly true when so much primary source material is now available; facts are facts regardless of nationality.

I have my own opinions on Harris and his command from mid 1944 onwards, these are based on primary source material from both the Allied side and Axis side. I have in my book on 218 only record the facts and not my perception of the facts. I have tried to leave the choices to the reader and given them all the facts available at my disposal. I hope to have given a clear and accurate description of the oil campaign, mistakes (of which there was many) and triumphs. This has nothing to do with my being English or British. On submitting my work to one publishers I was told that any criticism of Harris was "Inadvisable". Where does this sit with historical accuracy !!!

Rant over !!
The Nomads
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Hi John,

Not heard from you, would still like to know what you meant in your post :)

Cheers

Steve
The Nomads
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Steve, in short .............. I have watched programs and read books of many a RAF operation, which have been hijacked by the those who wished to 'Americanised' events which totally distorted the truth of what really happened ........... and by whom. At the end of the day, I, just like all of us, like the real facts to be presented, regardless of who was present for that particular operation.
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Hi John,

The author is not American and is not one to shirk the truth, I am sure his reputation as an historian is known by a number of members of the forum.

I tend to agree with you concerning our American cousins glossing over certain aspects of their military history and overlooking other countries contribution. One thing that does really rankle me is the often quoted “precision” bombing of the 8th – 15th Air force. Yes the Sperry and Norden was accurate when they could see the target, but that was the problem, actually seeing the targets!

Regarding documentaries on the bomber offensive, there are very very few that are factually / historically correct, my brother-in-law works as a free-lance researcher for History Channel, history is dumbed down for TV, the bomber offensive is no different.

I am sure that we are all for historical accuracy, unfortunately one mans interpretation of events can be different to another’s, who is right and who is wrong, as a researcher who do you believe, most of us go with the tide, very few swim against it when it comes to Bomber Command, even if evidence tends to contradict the “usual” pre conceptions.

It also depends on what the subject matter is, any criticism directed at certain individuals especially Harris will automatically be ridiculed and the usual torrent of “your anti Bomber Command” or “you don’t know what your talking about “ rubbish will be aimed in the direction of he or she who dares speaks out.

The historian must not try to know what is truth, if he values his honesty; for, if he cares for his truths, he is certain to falsify his facts (Henry Adams)

All the best from a rain swept London ;)
The Nomads
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Well written, Steve.
Cheers,
John