Looking for information on Stirling Aircraft & Crews ?

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Re: Looking for information on Stirling Aircraft & Crews ?

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Hi Simon,

I am the association historian for 218 Squadron.

Sadly I don't have a crew photo but I do have a series of photos of the crashed Short Stirling (W7474 HA-K) your Grandfather was shot down in. I also have a pic of the 2nd pilot lost on this operation. Your Grandfathers crew were at the time of their loss one on the most experienced NCO crews on the squadron, F/Sgt John Webber had completed 27 operations as captain, plus a further 4 as 2nd pilot. The crew when lost had completed between 2 and 27 operations.

Drop me a email at the following threegrouprafATyahoo.co.uk ( Replace the AT) or via the association web site http: 218squadron.wordpress.com

Regards

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
sidixon
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by sidixon »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the incredibly quick response! Email sent.

Cheers,
Simon
Ceri85
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Ceri85 »

Hi All

Anything on the following would be great.

Gwyn Elias
DOB 12/9/1920
296 Squadron from 11/8/1944
Air Gunner

Have a copy of some of his operation records(attached) - F/SGT ELIAS.G , looks like he flew with Kenneth Frere mentioned on the veterans page http://www.raf38group.org/veteransstoriesindex

Thanks for any help
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

I have the 296sqdn ORB if i can be a help.
Alan
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
Ruglen
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Ruglen »

Does anyone have any info/photos of 149 Sqn crews at Lakenheath in November 1942. In particular anything about my namesake
Sgt Thomas Anderson West who was captain & pilot of Short Stirling W7566 which was posted missing on 16/11/42.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Ruglen wrote:Does anyone have any info/photos of 149 Sqn crews at Lakenheath in November 1942. In particular anything about my namesake
Sgt Thomas Anderson West who was captain & pilot of Short Stirling W7566 which was posted missing on 16/11/42.
Hi Ruglen and welcome to the forum.
Here are a few quick details. Other members may have more.
There are some 149 squadron images posted here on the forum, you'll just need to do a search.
Cheers,
John

K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
gongnz
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by gongnz »

I'm looking for information regarding;

WALLACE, Leslie Bruce, Flight Sergeant, 404104, No. 83 Squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force. South Canterbury. (Citation page 814) (L.G.) 16/02/43 C.G.M. (Flying)

He flew with 83 Squadron and was the first person warded the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (Flying). I'm looking particularly for a photo of him and would like also to know where and when he received his award. Being the first awarded I would think (Hope ??) there was a photo taken of the presentation.

I have found numerous text-only newspaper reports (all apparently from the same source), but it is the photo I'm really hoping to find.

Regards
Graeme McLeod
Waikanae
New Zealand
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

A good start (but perhaps you have already it) is the book:
Bravery Awards for Aerial Combat: Stories Behind the Award of the CGM (Flying) by Alan W. Cooper
First link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bravery-Awards ... entries*=0

You could also join Pen and Sword, the editor of the book to obtain a contact with the author of the book: Alan W. Cooper.
Link:
http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/contact

Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
jmarkley
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by jmarkley »

May I request help getting information about a particular bomber crew. My uncle was the navigator, Alexander John Fowler RNZAF 422654, and the pilot was Sylvester Eddy RAAF. I have my uncle's logbook, so can look up exact dates of flights if that would be helpful.
They were in 214 Squadron from July 1943 and were transferred on attachment to 161 Squadron at Tempsford on September 15th 1943. They'd fly 14 missions at 161, and then be sent back to 161, and it looks like the crew broke up at this point and went their separate ways, or at least that's what I assume, since my uncle went to 1651 Heavy Conversion Unit, and I don't think the others did. I'm not really sure what happened to them, except for the pilot Eddy who survived the war and moved back to Australia in the 1950s after his first wife died.
I'd like help identifying the other members of the Stirling crew. I only have their ranks and last names, thanks to getting hold of a "Detail of Work Carried Out" form for 161 Squadron for September 1943. It lists the arrival of three Stirlings from 214 Squadron, one piloted by F/L Dixon, one by F/S Gallop, and the last by Eddy.
The names of the crew follow: F/O Eddy, F/OS Fowler and Baxter, P/O Needham, Sgts Prigmere (might be Prigmore), Fell and Rumsey.
I've always wondered what happened to the rest of the crew, and I'd dearly love to find a crew photo, as we have exactly one war service photo of my uncle, who was shot down and killed Feb 22nd 1945 in a 487 Squadron mosquito.
[Since writing this post, I found more documents with their initials: SJ Eddy, AJ Fowler, CE Baxter, DS Needham, FG Prigmore, JA Fell, JA Rumsey.
Thank you
Jonathan Markley
Last edited by jmarkley on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello Jonathan and welcome to the forum.

I and l'm sure other members will assist where we can and see what we can come up with.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"