Don Charlwood RIP

This Section is dedicated to our Veterans of all the Branches of the Armed Forces whose death have been recently recorded.
'Lest we forget'.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Don Charlwood RIP

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Gents,

Don Charlwood

Don Charlwood, who has died aged 96, flew as a navigator in Lancaster bombers and wrote a classic account of the experiences of the young men serving with a Bomber Command squadron.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... lwood.html

I think we have all read his masterpiece.

RIP
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Don Charlwood RIP

Post by Nocturna mors »

Hi Steve,
Many thanks for posting, although i am very saddened to hear the news. Having read No moon tonight as a child in an effort to learn about the Bomber war, it has always been one of my favourites, ...a masterpiece! When i was about 16 and having the luxury of a Vespa scooter, i made a pilgrimage to RAF Lichfield home of 27 OTU,....Don,s former base before he went to 103 Sqn. Quite a lot of the book covers his time with 27 OTU.
The Churchyard at the nearby village of Fradley contains the graves of some of the people mentioned in the book including Don,s best friend.

The airfield itself was very large with about 10 hangars still standing and in use for storage. The Watch tower, tech site, runways and peri track were all their. The only thing missing were the wimpys!
Walking about the site where all these events took place, left a lasting impression on me, so much so, that i revisited the base about two years ago,........this time without the Vespa! :oops:

To my horror,...the place was unrecognizable. It is now the home of Fradley park industrial estate. Only 2 hangars remained in wartime condition, a few others had been transformed for their new role as warehousing but, everything else had been cleared. :(

I wonder what goes through the minds of veterans who return to their old bases only to be confronted with the march of time?

Farewell Don,.......rest in peace!

Rgds Tom
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!