Short Stirling - Something Not Right With This photo

K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Short Stirling - Something Not Right With This photo

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Can anyone please describe this aircraft regarding the serious 'creases' on the fuselage.
Surely it did not fly again ................ however, it does seem to be at least sitting on the tarmac at it's usual position.

Again, I would be very interested to know the outcome on this Short Stirling.
Cheers,
John

K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: Short Stirling - Something Not Right With This photo

Post by AlanW »

Looks like it may have had a forced landing, or possible undercarriage failure, or possibly a near miss by flak, looking at the damage behind the bomb aimers position as well. No guns in the front turret ! perspex missing/broken in cockpit. Can't make out if thats "nose art" or a big chunk of paint missing
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

I'm wondering if it's linked to that famous photo of the Stirling on it's nose at Wyton. The creasing behind the cockpit and the lack of under nose pitot probes would point towards a nose-over

John L
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Hi John,
The copy i have of the one at Wyton, shows that the nose section was caved in, unlike the one in the above photo.
Attachments
LS-R.jpg
LS-R.jpg (257.18 KiB) Viewed 5407 times
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

Hmm forgot that :oops:

John L
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

I wonder if it was a "mid air collision"? It could have struck another aircraft a glancing blow - say from behind and this might explain the broken glazing? I feel that a nose over would have caused more damage and may well not have broken any windows?

Must confess the two chaps up the end of the fuselage in the nose over picture would certainly cause a HSE to have a coronary. Are they waiting for more to join them to cause the poor thing to return to its' correct stance?
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

David, you make a fair comment ( mid air collision ) .................... if you look under the front section of the fuselage, would be fair to say that there seems to be some discolouring / damage in place.

I'm thinking that just the slightest of nudges from an aircraft underneath would cause the 'buckling' / creasing of the skin and the minor damage under the front section, of course, I'm open to members thoughts on this matter.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"