Airfix Lancaster II

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: Airfix Lancaster II

Post by Stirling Project »

Hi Mike

As promised here's a pic of the Albemarle; I have to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying making it although it has been a bit of a pig at times as the instructions are a bit vague to say the least! Plenty of filler and primer hides a multitude of sins :lol:

John L
Attachments
16022014787.jpg
16022014787.jpg (162.56 KiB) Viewed 17563 times
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

I'm gradually getting there. The paintwork is complete the last few details are being added and then the final touching up.

Till the next
Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Hi John
That Albemarle looks a real challenge. Keep the pics coming.
Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Just a quick update, all details have now been added only the final retouching remains.

Till the next

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

It's finished the Airfix Lancaster BII as LL670 JI.K2 of 514 Squadron, RAF based at Waterbeach summer 1944.
The moulding of the kit is a joy to behold the only criticism I can make is that the instructions at times are unclear.
For instance the location points for the 8000lb bomb crutches in the bomb bay roof are obscure but a study of photographs indicates that the rear most pair are located in the rear most points not the ones indicted in the instructions. The forward ones can be used for either the 4000lb or 8000lb bombs. Airfix also seem to have mixed up in their drawings on page 22, of 500 and 1000lb bombs.
Fortunately good references are obtainable and the confusion can soon be sorted out.
One other point is the bomb aimers transparency doesn't have the Z equipment so I borrowed a spare from the Revell Dambuster. Hope you like it

Mike

Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

And very nice she looks too :D

John L
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Stirling Project wrote:Hi Mike

As promised here's a pic of the Albemarle; I have to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying making it although it has been a bit of a pig at times as the instructions are a bit vague to say the least! Plenty of filler and primer hides a multitude of sins :lol:

John L
So do photos taken from a long distance!
Well done, mate ............. now keep going!
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

In regards to Mike's magnificent effort, I'd have to say that is probably the best Lancaster example I've seen.
Great effort, Mike .............. thanks for sharing with us.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Mike,

I have to agree with John a wonderful example of a Mk.II Lancaster, But why keep the GH markings ?

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Hi Steve
With regard to the GH markings I asked Xtradecal to check their references and all seems well. On other forums people have pointed me in the direction of other sources and it seems GH bars in the summer of 1944 are quite credible as Bomber Command was now operating in daylight in a tactical role in support of the land armies in Europe. According to Bruce Robertson in Profile 235 with the arrival of D-Day GH became a necessity but was only fitted to Lancaster's that could carry 8000lb bombs which meant MkIIs. There is also a colour profile of LL670 in the same publication which shows GH bars.
I'd love to find a photograph of LL670, but nothing as yet.
The official history, The Strategic Air Offensive against Germany describes how GH was nurtured by 3 Group but a shortage of sets meant they had to be distributed amongst 5 squadrons; which also meant GH Leaders had to operate with squadrons other than their own.
I accept that by June 1944, 514 was operating a mixture of MK Is,IIIs and Mk II and I suppose its a reasonable assumption that the GH equipped Mk IIs would have had priority for spares until they were no longer viable and as you quite rightly point out the Mk II was withdrawn by September.
For my part I'm content to keep the GH bars unless someone can show me a photograph