G-H Tail Fin Markings Images

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

G-H Tail Fin Markings Images

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi folks, I've been searching aircraft with G-H tail fin markings images and I have to say that they are very few and far between.
Here are some that I have found and if anyone can add more images and details of aircraft and crews, please do so.
Sources listed.
Cheers,
John
And one we already had on file ......although not sure if this aircraft is G-H related.
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: G-H Tail Fin Markings Images

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Here are a couple more good images ........... with the last being a Special Duty Flight.
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

460 squadron = 5 Group = not G-H. Perhaps another "conundrum" John: Special Duties? The Fortresses, Liberators, Mosquitoes etc of 100 Group were labelled as SD squadrons so I'm not sure what this caption is saying! Perhaps it was a visiting Lanc from 3 Group?
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
Aircanuck
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Aircanuck »

K4KittyCrew wrote:Here are a couple more good images ........... with the last being a Special Duty Flight.
John
New member to this website ..... hello everyone,

Thought I might provide some further details regarding "The Way Back" photograph. The navigator who took this picture belong to Hopkins crew with 195 sqd and my father was the flight engineer. the GH marked Lancaster shown was their regular mount ( NG187 ) and was being flown by another crew that day. To cut down on the excessive glare Dad mention that Allan put his sunglasses over the camera lens which produced a terrific picture that I have cherished for years. We lost my father a year and half ago aged 88.

Cheers for now
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

ME453 wrote:460 squadron = 5 Group = not G-H. Perhaps another "conundrum" John: Special Duties? The Fortresses, Liberators, Mosquitoes etc of 100 Group were labelled as SD squadrons so I'm not sure what this caption is saying! Perhaps it was a visiting Lanc from 3 Group?
Max
Hi Max,

These were not 3 Group aircraft, the GH bars are incorrect, 3 Group sent a memorandum to each of the stations concerning the application of the horizontal bars, giving position, width and colour. Started white, finished yellow. Those on the Binbrook kites look like hastily applied white-wash. Would not be anything to do with the SDF, or was that a 1 Group thing?

Cheers

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Aircanuck wrote:
New member to this website ..... hello everyone,

Thought I might provide some further details regarding "The Way Back" photograph. The navigator who took this picture belong to Hopkins crew with 195 sqd and my father was the flight engineer. the GH marked Lancaster shown was their regular mount ( NG187 ) and was being flown by another crew that day. To cut down on the excessive glare Dad mention that Allan put his sunglasses over the camera lens which produced a terrific picture that I have cherished for years. We lost my father a year and half ago aged 88.

Cheers for now
Welcome to the forum, Aircanuck.

Thanks for your input, all information is always welcome.
If you have any details / images of your father and his crew, feel free to post them here.
I/ we, can assist in posting any details if you wish.
Cheers,
John
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

460 Sqn, Binbrook in 1 Group. Each Group raised a Special Duties Flight during the Overlord period to provide Group-specific marking capability. Frequent targets laid on at short notice meant PFF couldn't cover everything.

Richard
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

PAFG wrote:460 Sqn, Binbrook in 1 Group. Each Group raised a Special Duties Flight during the Overlord period to provide Group-specific marking capability. Frequent targets laid on at short notice meant PFF couldn't cover everything.

Richard
Hi Richard,

I seem to recall reading about the SDF work during the summer of 44, post D-Day. There must have been some way of identifying the SDF aircraft on the daylight raids, so perhaps this was 1 Groups method. This was months before 3 Group applied their horizontal bars, perhaps copying the 1 Group method of identification,

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads