Fly by Michael Veitch

This Section is dedicated to all the Books and DVD's about Bomber Command & related subjects (Personal opinions are not necessarily those of the Stirling Aircraft Society).
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Fly by Michael Veitch

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Folks,
I've just started reading the second book by Michael Veitch, an Australian journalist / actor, titled - FLY
I was very impressed with his first book, Flak, which I have previously commented on and I was keen to read his second effort.

Again, the book consist of interviews with ex RAAF, RAF, RNZAF crew members living here in Australia.
However, the first interview in this book is with an ex Luftwaffe pilot, Major Peter Alexander Mehrtens ( who moved to Australia in 1952 ) who had been shot down six times, received numerous bullet wounds, received the Knight Cross of the Iron Cross, continued his rise through the ranks to Major, met with Goering and Hitler, had private conversations with Eva Braum at the Berghof, just to name a few points of interest.

So far, this first interview is all that I have read but the book so far represent another worthy read.
John

K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
kookabat
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Re: Fly by Michael Veitch

Post by kookabat »

As an added bonus, the author of this book has made use of his acting and broadcasting talents to turn it into a one-man play - he performed it at the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne in November. I missed out unfortunately but I'm told it was excellent. Apparently he will be taking it on tour around Australia in 2015.
One to keep an eye out for I suspect!

Adam

PS The book's pretty good too... one of the chapters looks at Pat Kerrins (with Nobby Clarke who was his mid-upper). Sadly pat died last year but I had the honour of knowing him for the last couple of years of his life. Veitch nailed his character in the book so I suspect the rest will be similarly accurate.
Remembering the crew of 467 Sqn Lancaster LM475 PO-B Jan-May 1944
www.somethingverybig.com
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Great stuff, Adam ................ thanks for your comments and you are spot on about Pat Kerrins with Nobby Clarke, his mid upper. An excellent read so far.
Cheers,
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Probably fair to say that most stories about ex crew members are those who flew in Lancasters or Halifaxes, I was very interested to read about this Australian gentleman who happened to fly Short Stirlings with 295 Sqn, towing gliders on D-Day. I especially thought Bruno would appreciate it as well.
Cheers,
John
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hi John,

How are you? I've read that temperatures are hign in Australia.
I thank you for your kind message. I'm at work so I can't see the images but I'm sure they'll be great.
Kind regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

I'm good thanks, Bruno ................ a bit warm over here.
I have just finished reading this book, all I can say is that the author has excelled himself again.
Being a local certainly helps to relate to places mentioned here in Australia but either way, any reader will appreciate each an every story listed.

There are 21 short stories listed.
The men mentioned in the book really have endured a torrid time whilst serving and just when you think the next story can't get any better than the one you have just read, it does!
Cheers,
John