All info very much greatfully receved

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
jjb
Sergeant
Sergeant

All info very much greatfully receved

Post by jjb »

Hello to you all i am a new member and would love some help getting as much info and photos of my mothers brother Flight Engineer Sgt PCJ Brain 7 SQ his plain went down 6/7 August 1942 and the only info i have is below im trying to get as much as i can for my mother as sadly her memory is going now and she remembers very little of her brother who in my eyes is a hero and still very much missed......
Aircraft Type: Stirling
Serial number: R 9154
Radio call sign: MG – F
Unit: ATTD 7 SQN RAF
Summary:
Stirling R9154 took off from RAF Oakington at 0100 hours on the night of 6/7th August
1942 to bomb Duisberg, Germany. Nothing was heard from the aircraft after take off and
it did not return to base.
Crew:
RNZAF Flt Sgt C G Pullen, Captain (Pilot)
RAF Sgt P C J Brain, (Flight Engineer)
RAF PO Montgomery, A W C (Navigator))
RAF Sgt E G Kershaw, (Bomb Aimer)
RAF Sgt D W Mathieson, (Wireless Air Gunner)
RAF Sgt R L Rodwell, (Air Gunner)
RAAF 401217 Sgt S L Hore, (Air Gunner)
Post war it was established that the aircraft crashed at Huthum, 3kms north west of
Emmerich, Germany, and all the crew were killed.
They are buried in the Reichswald Forest War Cemetery, which is 5kms south west of
Kleve, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany.

we would love photos of his plane and Phillip and even pics of what medals and uniform badges he would of worn so as you can see we are looking for everything we can hold of and would like to take this chance to thank you on behalf of my mother and my self Jon
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: All info very much greatfully receved

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello Jon and welcome to the forum.

We have a great bunch of members here who will endeavour to find as much detail as possible.
Sometimes we can find much, other times we may not be not as lucky .............. however, we will try our best.

I will do some searches on finding some images of crew and aircraft.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

Hello Jon, and welcome to the forum.

Just a little background to the Pilot of your uncle's Stirling.

Flt/Sgt Clifford George Pullen RNZAF NZ402541.
Born 12 November 1918. Joined RNZAF 15 July 1940.
Re-mustered as Airman Pilot under-training on 2 December 1940.
Hospitalized sick 26 Feb to 9 April 1941.
Gained Pilots badge 5 July 1941 and promoted to Sergeant.
Embarked for the UK on 5 September 1941, arriving 18 October.
Arrived at No.12 O.T.U. on 18 November 1941, and began training on Wellington aircraft.
From there went to No. 1651 C.U. on 7 March 42, and began training on Stirling aircraft.
Posted with his crew to No.7 Squadron on 5 April 1942, and was lost on his 11th operation.
Buried Reichswald Forest War Cemetery.
(Information from Errol Martyn's book "For Your Tomorrow" Vol 3 - Biographies and Appendices).

I hope someone can help you with the other crew members.
Regards,
Wayne.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Many thanks for your contribution, Wayne.

Jon, I can find images of nearly every squadron letter except MG-F, however, The only MG-F I could find was the Short Stirling that crashed landed with little damage and the Germans painted it with their colour scheme .................. however, this was MG-F, N3705, MG-F, R9154. I'll keep looking.
John

" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Davenport7
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Davenport7 »

jjb,

I have forwarded your post to a crash site recovery contact I have who located my grandfather Les Davenport s Bomber crash site in Recklinghausen.

My grandfather was also in 7 squadron Stirlings but was a POW in Sept 1941 so would not have known the above crew.

I will keep digging for you.

I do have a vast number of pictures of 7sqn so will hunt for you.

Regards

Ian
jjb
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by jjb »

Thank you all so much for your help i have told my mother there is help on the way and lots of members on the case can't thank you all enough

Jon
Davenport7

Post by Davenport7 »

7 Squadron Stirling R9154 - Shot down By Oblt. Reinhold Knacke, of 1.NJG1, this his 31st abschüsse of the war. Shot down 500 Metres South Hüthum, North West of Emmerich at 4,000 mtrs. Claim timed at 02.42 hrs. His Bordfunker was a Uffz. Kurt Bundrock. It was hit by a single burst of fire and it is bought that this hit the bomb load. Debris from this hit the attacking aircraft but landed safely.

Reinhold Knacke was killed on the 2/3rd February 1943 following combat with a Short Stirling bomber, he and his R/Op, Feldwebel. Kurt Bundrock baled out and their damaged Me 110F-4 Wnr.4683. The lifeless body of Reinhold Knacke was found near the wreck of his aircraft which crashed 3 km E of Achterveld, Netherlands.

Take a look at www.aircrewremembered.com if u want this event recorded they will do a write up for you if u submit a story to them. I have already asked for the crash to be added to the database.

Ian
Davenport7

Post by Davenport7 »

I have a picture of Oblt. Reinhold Knacke.

Regards
Ian
Attachments
Reinhold Knacke
Reinhold Knacke
Reinhold-Knacke-Aircrew-Remembered-archive-1.jpg (45.1 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Davenport7 wrote:7 Squadron Stirling R9154 - Shot down By Oblt. Reinhold Knacke, of 1.NJG1, this his 31st abschüsse of the war. Shot down 500 Metres South Hüthum, North West of Emmerich at 4,000 mtrs. Claim timed at 02.42 hrs. His Bordfunker was a Uffz. Kurt Bundrock. It was hit by a single burst of fire and it is bought that this hit the bomb load. Debris from this hit the attacking aircraft but landed safely.

Reinhold Knacke was killed on the 2/3rd February 1943 following combat with a Short Stirling bomber, he and his R/Op, Feldwebel. Kurt Bundrock baled out and their damaged Me 110F-4 Wnr.4683. The lifeless body of Reinhold Knacke was found near the wreck of his aircraft which crashed 3 km E of Achterveld, Netherlands.

Take a look at http://www.aircrewremembered.com if u want this event recorded they will do a write up for you if u submit a story to them. I have already asked for the crash to be added to the database.

Ian
Our very own moderator, Bob does the write ups for not only the 'aircrewremembered.com' but for our forum here.
Bob is happy poking around behind the scenes but I can tell you that his efforts are much appreciated.
John
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

Had a look for photos of MG-F but no luck. We can provide a copy of the Casualty Report held in the Control Tower if you're interested.

John