Our Valued WAAF's

K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Our Valued WAAF's

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Here is a couple of photos of our valued WAAF's. Although there are numerous Bomber Command Forum available on the Internet, I can't say there is due recognition for these marvellous ladies. I trust we can make amends here.

The whereabouts' of the first photo is still unknown to me ......... will have to do some homework / and or, some member may know.
The second photo ........... is a challenge to the members. Can you name these WAAF's role and what they were doing, in the picture?
I'm not expecting an exact answer but near enough will do.

Footnote - If any member has photos of WAAF's they'd like to post, please do so and or contact myself, David or Max, to help with postings.
John
( Below) WAAF Balloon operators studying the construction of balloons from a model.
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: Our Valued WAAF's

Post by PAFG »

Second photo, lady in the front thinks she's auditioning for Hollywood and the rest appear to be preparing a Met balloon.

I think the first photo is a sit in - 'we're not moving till you put a roof on our accommodation...'

Richard
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Not all WAAF's but these are just a few from a WAAF's (Cpl Agnes Howarth) scrapbook that i picked up at a jumble sale some years back. She was based at Middleton St George, the book includes a nice little poster advertising an Easter Dance at the WAAF site, and an original first edition of the Middleton St George News, later renamed "Flarepath" plus a host of other interesting and amusing stuff.
Last edited by AlanW on Mon May 30, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
Denonline
BC Veteran
BC Veteran

Post by Denonline »

The WAAFS, inspecting the ballloon were in all probability undergoing "Barrage balloon" training to become part of the hundreds of crews manning them.

These balloons were deployed at all times over vulnerable air attack targets including ships There were hundreds over London, they were attached to a winch vehicle by a strong cable that would have crippled any dive or low flying enemy bomber.

Dennis
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Many thanks Dennis, great to hear from you. I'll being sending you a PM about another 'vet'.
Alan, great photos mate. Would also like to do a post on 'ground crews' ....... if we haven't got one already. I reckon it is so important to have recognition for all of those who served.
If members have stories / photos, please post them in.
Thanks,
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

here is a couple more photos of interest ..........
John
Upkeep
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Upkeep »

Great pix John. Not quite sure about the one 'working on the autopilot' though ;)

Am I correct in thinking that the ATA Ferry Pilots were not technically WAAFs ?
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Fair comment 'Upkeep' .......... these photo's came out of the 'WAAF Section' of the book An Illustrated History of the RAF, by Roy Conyers Nesbit. Most photo's are listed as WAAF's and their role titles, ie: Mechanic, Instrument Repairer, etc.
I have quite a number of photo's concerning WAAF's and other women who were not part of the RAF but provided an invaluable service, as this next photo shows ....... Cheers,
John
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Here is another great photo of our valued WAAF's. Please fill free to add to the collection and list all credits if known.
Cheers,
John
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Here is another great photo.
John