55 Men and 1 Woman = Short Stirling

K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

55 Men and 1 Woman = Short Stirling

Post by K4KittyCrew »

My good friend Dom (Skintman) http://www.lancasterbombers.com/ ....... has passed this photo onto me, thanks mate. I think it is a great set up.
John

K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Re: 55 Men and 1 Woman = Short Stirling

Post by smudgersmith218 »

John,

This is infact No.218 Squadron. I have a series of photographs from the IWM.

Regards

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

That's great Steve. I would love to have a better quality, larger photo of the 'front on' photo, at the bottom. We so many of the Lancaster by this is the only one I've seen of the Stirling.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

It's a great picture. I'll bet the photographer was fuming when he got the print back from the "chemist". On a better quality version you can see that the Waaf is clearly bored with the whole thing and is yawning and the chap in the back row, fourth from the right, has had enough and is walking off!

The photos of the chaps pushing the Stirling is of OJ-T, 149 Squadron. This could be of significance to me personally because depending on the serial number my uncle and his crew flew in this Stirling on their penulitamate mission together. Here's a clearer photo and one in colour as well.

Dave
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Dave_Richardson wrote:It's a great picture. I'll bet the photographer was fuming when he got the print back from the "chemist". On a better quality version you can see that the Waaf is clearly bored with the whole thing and is yawning and the chap in the back row, fourth from the right, has had enough and is walking off!

The photos of the chaps pushing the Stirling is of OJ-T, 149 Squadron. This could be of significance to me personally because depending on the serial number my uncle and his crew flew in this Stirling on their penulitamate mission together. Here's a clearer photo and one in colour as well.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I did not realise that the "Erks" pushing the Stirling where No.149 Squadron. I have the two other photographs from the IWM, plus two more from what I was informed was a set. I pressumed "Wrongly" that all four were 218, that will teach me. :lol: :lol:

There is an entry in the Station and Squadron ORB about the photo-shoot, I will dig it out and post it if I get time.

Cheers mate

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Cheers Steve

Much appreciated!

Dave