Stirling Photos from Flickr Part 2

Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Stirling Photos from Flickr Part 2

Post by Dave_Richardson »

He's the second set. There's actually 6 in the set on Flickr but they're of similar angles so I've picked two. Apparently these six photos where in a batch of over 300 negatives found on a fleamarket in 2008. They must have been taken by an American airman between 43 and 45. The majority were taken at Bassingbourn airfield home to the USAAF 91st Bomb Group with some others showing shots of London, presumably on leave. Also included in the set are a Lancaster and Avro York, however the majority are of USAAF aircraft. If anyone wants to have a look at the full set here's the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49024304@N ... 125792619/

Onto the Stirling - It's number is EF403/G which I think means it had secret stuff on board and should have had a guard on it. But there's none to be seen in the photos! EF403 was at 1660CU from 11/12/43 to 24/2/45, am I right in thinking that TV was the code for 1660 CU? Interesting things to note are the lack of guns in the rear turret and some,if not all of the fuselarge windows have been painted over as has the rear part of the canopy.

The B17 in the background has been identified as "LL T Tennessee Tess, 44-8357, from the 401st Bomb Squadron, 91st Bomb Group, a PFF aircraft with the group letter on the tail over-painted in black."

Interesting stuff!!

Dave
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Stirling Photos from Flickr Part 2

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Yes Dave, 1660 HCU's unit code was TV ............ again, great pics mate, crystal clear!
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: Stirling Photos from Flickr Part 2

Post by PAFG »

Interesting also that she has H2S - suggests photos are 1944/5?

Richard