Bombing Effort - Interesting Stats ........

K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Bombing Effort - Interesting Stats ........

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Whilst looking for other details, I came across this link from wikipedia ............ http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sourc ... RvvO0KiviQ

As listed below, In relation to the RAF compared to the USAAF, I found some of the stats, ( with no disrespect to the USAAF ) very interesting to say the least ............ tons of bombs dropped / bomber sorties / claimed enemy aircraft destroyed, etc.

I was of the opinion that being the RAF was in it from day one, the totals would be quite different.
John

K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: Bombing Effort - Interesting Stats ........

Post by PAFG »

Hi John, interesting stats, from the US Bombing Survey by the looks of it.

It always amazes me how small Bomber Command's effort was in the first half of the war, compared to what followed. The R.A.F. only completed delivery of its first 100,000 tons of bombs the night of 23/24 May 1943. it then delivers that amount twelve more times in just under two years. I'll post a graph in a separate thread from Harris's final Despatch that really emphasises the way striking power essentially flatlines through to 1943 then grows exponentially.

The U.S.S.T.A.F. started small and their heavies carried smaller loads than the British, but by 1945 there were a lot of them - USAFE consisted of the 8th and 9th airforces in UK and the 12th and 15th in Italy.

Cheers,

Richard