Handley Page Halifax Collection

K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Handley Page Halifax Collection

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Great photo there Dave, is it fair to say that ......... The painted tail fin indicates a G-H Leader's aircraft.

Details from our seasoned member, Richard .......... taken from the LAF. http://lancaster-archive.com/forum/view ... e01#p48267
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

A crew photo from 76 Squadron and link ......... Love the name of the aircraft. http://www.stinch.com/geneology/greenacre/
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Gordon Greenacre was the subject of research done by me for a relative some years ago, when i was still travelling up to Kew by train before the N/A had it's online copying service. I can remember the relative being a male, and i think i'm right in thinking he posted on the old 57 Rescue site forum, and sent me a copy of the crew photo on the ladders.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thanks again, Alan .............. I'm amazed at how much information you have on files!
Here is another great photo.
John
keevil299
Corporal
Corporal

Post by keevil299 »

Hello Dave,
Hate to be picky, but she is most probably seen after No. 462's transfer to No. 100 (Bomber Support) Group.
As you can see, she has all the Mandrel/Jostle/Piperack, etc aerials atop the fuselage and under the nose. Also, the additional Window shute is visible under the rear fuselage. The squadron did not appear to have been in any hurry to remove their No. 4 Group vertical yellow daylight gaggle markings - nor have I yet discovered any evidence they were ordered to do so.
Mark.
Last edited by keevil299 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Memory of 1577790, Sgt. Allan James, RAFVR; Navigator, No. 149 (East India) Squadron, Lakenheath.
Lost, 21st-22nd May 1943; Stirling III, BF510; OJ-P, Gironde Estuary. His first operation.
Runnymede. Panel 154.
http://rafgen.iconosites.com/page/home/
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

[quote="K4KittyCrew"]Thanks again, Alan .............. I'm amazed at how much information you have on files!
I have an abundance of photo's on files, each sent to me by relatives, in return for helping out with information. This is because, whenever i did a search, although i would pay for files etc from the N/A, i would never charge the relative for anything, all i would ask for if possible, was a photo. I have posted another of these in the "Headquarters" section for Bob, to add to his posting on Ralph Stanley Wallwork in his RAAF crews section. But i don't think he's transferred it yet.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Here are some great Halifax photos of nose art and aircraft. They come from a excellent Canadian site. thememoryproject.com
John
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

This collections building well - what's the story with the Halifax in the tree - overshoot or tree blown down onto dispersal?
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Richard, I will have to go back to that page and check ............. will let you know.
Here some more I found.
John
paul61
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paul61 »

John,
Great to see so many Halibag's from my father's sqdn, the "Snowy Owls" , thank you for posting them.
I have just a few connections.......
- "The RuhrHuhr" was a 433 sqdn kite belonging to "Pop" Howes and crew. I knew all of this crew.
I had found a photo of this kite for them but, this is one I'd not seen before.
- "X-Terminator" , Russ McKay's 420 kite. My late friend, Ted Lewis, was their mid under gunner for the majority of his 30 ops. This was the 1st allied bomber to land in Normandy shortly after D-Day. Their tanks were holed on an op over France and they were forced to land on an expanded metal runway freshly laid down....... for Typhoons!
Ted Lewis heavily funded the Halifax build @ Elvington. Russ kept a detailed wartime diary and later used it to write his fine book, "One of The Many".
- "Sweet Sue" , I submitted this photo (and many more) to Dale Parker's site on 420 sqdn. Frank Hynes (F/E) was a friend of mine and sent me this photo some years back for providing him with his ops records. There are photos there of Dale's father, and my father, under a Halibag @ 420.

Thanks again for posting these John.
Cheers!
Paul Gribbons