Notice to Recruit to Return to Service

PeteT
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Notice to Recruit to Return to Service

Post by PeteT »

Does anyone have a copy of the letter (circa 1943/1944) sent to RAFVR recruits calling them up to commence their training at ACRC after they have been held on reserve following attestation (Form 1376)?

We are trying to get hold of a copy so that we can include in a research project that we are currently undertaking regarding an FE in Bomber Command (KIA 4th February 1945)

Also, we are still trying to establish if recruits were provided with the silver RAFVR lapel badge in 1943/1944 (which was issued at attestation, but had to be returned at ACRC)

Any help would be much appreciated
Researching:
CA Butler, flight engineer Lancaster ME334 (KIA over Bonn with 35 PFF on 4th Febuary 1945) http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/
Ground Crew and Aircrew Training WWII
"The History of No 35 Squadron" http://35squadron.wordpress.com/
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Notice to Recruit to Return to Service

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi 'Pete T' and thank you for your post. Maybe we need Dennis to pass comment here.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Hi Pete,

I don't think this is necessarily the right one, but it's certainly similar to the one you're describing? Not a great photo I'm afraid, and I can't give you a reference 'cos I can't for the life of me remember whether it's from a trip to TNA or off the net :roll:

Cheers,

Richard
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Oh dear - forgot to add the pictures...
Sec State 4 Air letter.jpg
Sec State 4 Air letter.jpg (60.03 KiB) Viewed 4762 times
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

To make amends - here's 'So You're Going to be a Pilot?', which also applies to those in the pipeline and awaiting call forward for training...
You are going to be a pilot 1.jpg
You are going to be a pilot 1.jpg (129.09 KiB) Viewed 4762 times
You are going to be a pilot 2.jpg
You are going to be a pilot 2.jpg (117.72 KiB) Viewed 4762 times
Remainder in new post...

Richard
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

...and the rest:
You are going to be a pilot 3.jpg
You are going to be a pilot 3.jpg (122.8 KiB) Viewed 4762 times
You are going to be a pilot 4.jpg
You are going to be a pilot 4.jpg (98.3 KiB) Viewed 4762 times
Richard
PeteT
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by PeteT »

Richard

Thanks for your time and effort in responding to this thread.

I have provided an extract from our research which hopefully puts the letter you have attached into context:

"As instructed, on 9th April 1943, Cecil packed a small suitcase, his civilian respirator and the requisite paperwork and travelled to RAF Cardington in Bedfordshire.

Over the next couple of days he undertook a series of fitness, aptitude, numeracy and literacy tests.

He was also interviewed by an Air Crew Selection Board (ACSB) and at the end of the process, the board recommended him “for training as flight mechanic, potential flight engineer”.

Cecil was sent before the Attestation Officer, where, after formally signing his Notice Paper (Form 2168), he was asked to swear allegiance to his King and Country:

Having completed his assessment, Cecil returned to civil life in Woolwich, London with his wife and two-year old daughter, knowing that he had been accepted into the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

He may have been given a silver RAFVR lapel badge at the Reception Centre to show that he was “on reserve”, but it is unclear whether this was still common practice in 1943.

The Secretary of State for Air sent him a letter which welcomed him into the RAF and advised him that “he would be called up as soon as he was required”.

He now had to patiently await that call up"

What we are trying to find is a copy of the next letter in the sequence which called him into service.

Regards (and thanks again)

Pete
Researching:
CA Butler, flight engineer Lancaster ME334 (KIA over Bonn with 35 PFF on 4th Febuary 1945) http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/
Ground Crew and Aircrew Training WWII
"The History of No 35 Squadron" http://35squadron.wordpress.com/